Thursday, August 27, 2009

Day 37 of Qivana Therapy

So, this is brand new to me, and that is why I've decided to start a blog.

First, a little bit of a brief history about me.

I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic. I have been a diabetic for 23 years. It has been a long, difficult, and harrowing road. I was one of the lucky ones and it has still be difficult. I had a FANTASTIC doctor when I was first diagnosed. He told me I was a "fragile" diabetic. His name was Dr. Wilson in Ft. Walton Beach. He explained to me, in 1986, that the reason insulin-dependent diabetics should not drink alcohol is NOT because of how high it makes your bloodsugar, it's because of the drop afterwards.  Yes, he told that to a 13 year old girl. Because I had questions.

Now, the reason I am starting this blog has to do with a lot of things. It has to do with my skepticism. It has to do with my faith. It has to do with my view of the state of our world today. The fact that we manufacture everything. The fact that I knew my great-grandmother. The reason I knew her is because she ate NOTHING that was manufactured. I am a firm believer in this. She lived to be as old as she was because she ate what she grew. It had no chemicals, no antibiotics, no steroids. It was not mass produced, mass preserved, and mass slaughtered. I firmly believe this.

I started on 7/22nd taking Qivana. Before I started taking it, I contacted my endocrinologist, Dr. J. Gary Evans. I wanted to make sure he was okay with me taking it. He said it was fine. It's 100% natural, they told me, is it okay? Yes, it is, he said. As long as it doesn't raise my blood sugar. Well, it has not. As a matter of fact, it has had EXACTLY the opposite effect on my blood sugar. Which is why I am starting this blog, today, Day 37. I want to document my journey as a diabetic on Qivana. I believe education is best when it is first hand. I believe that if I, as a 13 year old, newly diagnosed diabetic had the opportunity to speak to someone who was going through what I was, if I had the opportunity to learn from someone, first hand knowledge, it would have helped me. So, I am hoping that my experience will help someone else.


So, this first blog post is regarding my Day 37 experience with Qivana & I will go backwards periodically, to fill you in on what has been missed. It's THAT important. yes, it is.

On day 37, my pre-lunch blood sugar was - 126, and my insulin pump prescribed a .5 units correction bolus.
I ate for lunch a salad with spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, green pepper, tilapia, zesty italian, croutons and some watermelon. This is approximately 40 grams of carbs, for which my insulin pump has prescribed a bolus of 4 units. Obviously, my insulin to carb ration is 10:1.

Post lunch, my reading is 53. Now, this could be due to a lot of things. I could have mis-guessed my carbs. Since it was a salad, which is hard to measure. So, I won't adjust my basal rate. This is very important for you to know, since I have already adjusted my basal rate once. But, we'll address that later on. Right now, I need to get some carbs into me.....

We'll talk later.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment